Welcome back to Term 4! We hope everyone had a great holiday and are now ready to put lots of effort into our last term for 2014.
We have many exciting things coming up this term, in particular the first Grade 4 camp which will be held between 15th to 17th October in Beechworth.
Our Inquiry focus will be ‘Why Explore; Why Settle’. This unit of work has an historical focus that is centred on man’s need to explore and discover. Students learn about individuals in the past that have played a major role in shaping the world as we know it. They research the journeys of early navigators who mapped undiscovered passages across the sea in their quest for new knowledge, land and cargo. Students will develop a sense of exploration throughout the 14th to18th centuries, including Captain James Cook and First Fleet. Reasons for the First Fleet are addressed through an investigation based on the cause and effect of life in London in the 1800’s, including the crimes of the time and transportation as consequence. The impact of Captain Arthur Philip’s arrival and the First Fleet on the indigenous people of the land is central to the unit’s key understandings.
The DEA (Digital Excellance Award) focus in Term 4 will be “Spreadsheets” and students will work towards the following goals:
- I can create a spreadsheet, enter and label data
- I can enter a formula to perform functions
- I can predict what will happen when I make changes to the data
- I can create a table of data and copy formulae from cell to another
- I can use spreadsheets to create graphs
- I can print out my spreadsheet and graphs
- I can create a presentation for my friends using my spreadsheet and graphs
If you have any concerns or questions throughout the term, please feel free to arrange a time to meet with your child’s classroom teacher.
The Grade 4 Team (Helen Stafford, Charlotte Falls, Peter Hardiman, Kate Spillane, Jaci Newman)